How to Create a Rubric
- Click on Course Tools below the Control Panel of a course then click on Rubrics.
- On the Rubrics page, click on the ‘Create Rubric’ button.
- Enter a ‘Name’ for the Rubric.
- Enter a ‘description’ for the rubric to make it easier to associate it to relevant assignments.
- Since new rubrics default to three rows and three columns, you may choose to add additional Rows or Columns (click ‘Add Row’ to add a new criterion at the bottom of the grid; click ‘Add Column’ to add a new level of achievement to the grid).
- To change the names of the labels identifying rows and columns, click on the chevron and select ‘Edit’.
- For increased objectivity, place a check mark next to Show Points or Show Point Range (select ‘Show Points’ to enter a single point value for each Level of Achievement; select ‘Show Point Range’ to enter a high and low value to create a point range for each Level of Achievement). Only one option can be selected.
- You can click on the ‘Right/Left Arrows’ icon to reorder the columns for ‘Levels of Achievement’. The ‘Top/Down Arrows’ icon allows the reordering of the rows for Criteria.
- Fill in the cells with descriptions for each criterion and level of achievement. There is a 1000 character limit for each cell. Once finished, click on ‘Submit’.
How to Apply Rubric to an Activity
Rubrics can be assigned to Blackboard assignment, Discussion Board Forums, Journals/Blogs and Wikis
For Blackboard assignments simply hover the cursor over ‘Add Rubric’ and click ‘Select Rubric’. For Discussion Board Forums, Journals/Blog and Wikis, ‘Points Possible’ needs to be selected first.
A new window will pop up will appear. Click on the tick box of the rubric you want to associate with this assignment and then click ‘Submit’. You can only associate one rubric to an assignment.
The selected rubric will appear below
- : dis-associate this rubric with this assignment
- : preview associated rubric. This will open a pop-up window showing what is in the rubric
- : edit associated rubric. You can only edit the rubric is it has not been used to mark in another assignment
- Show Rubrics to Students: By default this is set to ‘No’. To change, hover the cursor over the icon.
- Yes (With Rubric Scores)
- This will show the rubric as well as how the student was graded in MyGrades. Students can see the even if it has not been graded.
- Yes (Without Rubric Scores)
- This will show the rubric to students in MyGrades without any grading. You cannot just show the learning outcomes for a student without the score that is associated to that outcome. Students can see the even if it has not been graded.
- After Grading
- This shows the rubric with scores to students only when it has been graded.
- Yes (With Rubric Scores)
If there are points associated to the rubric, the maximum points possible from the rubric will be automatically enter into ‘Points Possible’ for the assignment.
How to Associate a Blackboard Rubric to a Turnitin Assignment
Associating a Blackboard rubric to a Turnitin Assignment needs to be done in in the Grade Centre.
- Underneath ‘Control Panel’ in your course, click on ‘Grade Centre’ and then ‘Full Grade Centre’
- Locate the Turnitin Assignment column, click the chevron and click ‘Edit Column Information’.
- Scroll down to ‘Associated Rubrics’ and click ‘Add Rubric’
- A new window will pop up will appear. Click on the tick box of the rubric you want to associate with this assignment and then click ‘Submit’. You can only associate one rubric to an assignment.
- Have a look at Apply Rubric to an Activity for more information about rubric options
How to Export a Rubric
- First, go into the course where you created a rubric. Under the ‘Control Panel,’ click on ‘Course Tools’ and then ‘Rubrics’.
- Click the box to the left of the rubric title and click ‘Export’.
- Once at the ‘Rubric Export Settings,’ leave the default settings and click ‘Submit.’ Click ‘Download.’
- A ‘Save To…’ box will appear. Save the file somewhere you will find it. Depending on how large the file is, it may take a second or two to download. The file will be zipped. Do not unzip it or attempt to open it, at the risk of corrupting it.
How to Import a Rubric
- Go to the course where you want to import the Rubric. Under the ‘Control Panel’, click on ‘Course Tools’ and then ‘Rubrics’
- Click on the ‘Import Rubric’ button.
- Click on the ‘Browse My Computer’ button.
- A ‘File Upload’ box will appear.
- Find your exported rubric file and click ‘Open’. You cannot import a rubric that is not in a zip file (.pdfs, .docx, .xlsx, etc.).
- Click ‘Submit.’ Again, depending on how large your file is, it may take a few seconds to process. You will get the ‘Import Results’. Click ‘OK’ at the bottom of the page once complete
- In your ‘Rubrics’ area, you should now have a copy of your rubric. To edit the rubric click on the chevron to the right of the rubric name and click ‘Edit’